Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A political debate & peaceful opposition -- Let's Celebrate!

On August 6th, at an independence day parade in Santa Cruz, which featured indigenous groups from outside the city was predicted to bring conflict. However, journalist José Andrés Sánchez of El Pais de las Maravillas [ES] was relieved and writes:

Muchos de ellos flameaban la bandera y a cada paso exhibían un civismo pocas veces visto. Debo reconocer que me emocioné como pocas veces frente a un televisor. Me sentí no solo maravillado sino orgulloso de que esta demostración de apertura y unidad se de en mi ciudad. Debo reconocer que me agradó mucho ver a Evo Morales y García Linera al lado de Rubén Costas y Percy Fernández. Los cuatro aplaudían y sonreían. Debo reconocer (aunque a algunos no les guste) que me gusta la paz y no la tensión del conflicto.

------------------------------------------

Many of them waved the flag and at each step demonstrated a civic pride seldom seen. I must admit that not too often have I been as moved in front of a television screen. I felt not only amazed, but proud of this demonstration of unity in my city. I must also admit that I felt grateful to see Evo Morales and Garcia Linera (Bolivian Vice-President) side by side with Ruben Costas (Santa Cruz Prefect) and Percy Fernandez (Santa Cruz mayor). The four applauded and smiled. I admit (even though some do not like to admit it) that I like peace and not conflict and tension.


Editior's note
The Project would like to express it's
appreciation to the Bolivian people as they
& their collective leadership are providing
brothers & sisters around the world
a premiere example of democracy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home